As a community arts hub, the Emerson relies on the time, energy and enthusiasm donated by community volunteers and interns. You can get involved by becoming a docent, helping with events, monitoring art education classes or in our office. Simply fill out a volunteer application, send it to the Emerson and a volunteer coordinator will contact you. Thanks for your support!
Every spring and fall the Emerson creates a team of volunteer docents to lead our Schools in the Gallery education outreach program. This program serves school aged children, primarily grades K – 8, by offering professional gallery tours and optional hands-on art enrichment activities.
Docents get the opportunity to learn directly from artists about their techniques and processes used while creating the exhibited body of work and also get a valuable hands-on experience teaching youth in our community about contemporary art.
FALL 2018 SCHOOLS IN THE GALLERY – DOCENTS NEEDED
The Emerson is looking to add to our team of volunteer docents to help lead our Schools in the Gallery program! The fall sessionl features drawings and sculpture by Louis Habeck of Billings in both the Jessie Wilber and Lobby Galleries. This show titled Lepidoptera Ceratopsidae combines two animal species – insects and dinosaurs – by altering and merging their horn and frill structure as well as their decorative ornamentation. The Lobby Gallery will show his drawings of this unique species and the Jessie Wilber will display sculptures made from foam and resin! This is sure to be an enriching and educational exhibiting integrating fine art, science and a whole lot of fun!
The docent training with Louis Habeck will be held on Friday, September 14 from 3 – 5 PM. The Fall session will run from September 17 – November 16 with tours occurring on weekdays between 9 am – 3 pm for 1.5 – 2.5-hour periods. Commitment time throughout the session is flexible and based upon your schedule. This is an excellent opportunity for college level art education students looking for experience leading groups of school-aged children or anyone wanting to share their passion for the arts with our community!
Contact Alissa with questions or to register for the training! 406-587-9797 x 104
ART EDUCATION MONITOR
- Monitor open art classes. Check in participants and collect money. Clean and organize studio spaces. Maintain studio rules and use of equipment.
- Volunteers can assist with setup, greeting, managing activities, event takedown, and more.
- Emerson special events include Celebration of the Arts, Christmas Stroll, Lunch on the Lawn, and Garden & Home Tour.
- Open and secure Jessie Wilber Gallery. Answer questions, tally, and direct visitors.
- Volunteer must be available on select Saturdays, mid-morning through mid-afternoon.
- Organizing and filing storage documents. Maintenance of grounds such as cutting bushes, picking up debris, weeding, sweeping sidewalks, etc.
SUMMER TEEN INTERNSHIP
- Internships are available for high school aged students who would like to enhance their leadership skills by assisting our lead teachers during Summer Art Camps.
- Applications will be available in the Spring for the following Summer.
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer for the Emerson Center for the Arts & Culture and you have additional questions, please call 406.587.9797 ext. 105 or email office@theEmerson.org.